注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: 白马西北驰

[[本园活动]] Glede's Mailbox [老鹰信箱:长期活动,欢迎参加]

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-8-24 19:10:16 | 显示全部楼层
白马兄,拜读之余,斗胆改几个字,别介意哦
As the fireworks fade away, the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will end tonight. What are your impression, feelings, or opinions of this grand feast? Do you have any unique experience? Do you want to share your experience of the Beijing Olympic Games with Glede and all the other friends in the readfree forum?

If you have something special to say, don't hesitate; just write to Glede's Mailbox, you can get bonus from the moderators and the Glede Group.

The requirements are qutie simple:

1.Write in your own words about what you experienced and what you felt in relation to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

2.If you can write a post of originality in more than 200 words, we will suggest that the moderator rewards you with 1 prestige (Wei Wang).

3.If your writing is good enough, that is, correct, coherent, concise, and vivid, we will suggest that the moderator rewards you with 2 prestige.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-25 10:51:44 | 显示全部楼层
   I take the initiative.
    In the past 17 days I have become a Couch Potato, watching almost all the ongoing games. I was deeply immersed in such a magnificent sports gala. I felt so excited and amazed at the performance of athletes from all over the world, especially the spectacular achievements the Chinese sportsmen have made.
    No one, I presume, could forget the breathtaking Opening Ceremony on Aug 8,2008. The 5000-year traditional Chinese culture was carved in pieces of pictures, vividly and uniquely presented to the world people. The most gorgeous part of the Ceremony is lighting the cauldron by Li Ning, Prince of Gymnastics. He flied in mid-air around the Bird's Nest and lit the flame. I feel so proud and blissful as a Chinese!
     On the first day of the Games, you may have experienced the anxious expectations, that is, who would grab China’s first gold medal. Du Li suffered setbacks under pressure, But Chen Yanxia from lifting weights gave us a surprise by obtaining the first gold medal.
Similarly impressive is the Chinese young girls from aerobatics. Their astounding performance is really thrilling and heart throbbing.
     I am a fan of the Chinese volleyball team. Every time I cannot wait to see these charming and attractive girls on the court. Though they failed to gain the title of championship they are still my respected idols.
     The saddest of all is Liu Xiang pulling out of the 110-metre hurdle because of a sore hamstring. His pathetic withdrawal many Chinese who cherish many hopes and dream of him.
      Anyhow, this sports festivity will leave us fond memories foreever.

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-25 20:23:24 | 显示全部楼层
a amazing idea~~~
if I have time,i would like to share my feeling with you. bust first of all, i must collect this item.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-26 15:20:11 | 显示全部楼层
The programme starts on August, 7, 2008. The rules mentioned above are not of the final version. Your suggestions are welcomed. We will keep on improving it.

"Your suggestions are welcomed" 是typo吧,建议用we welcome suggestions , or Your suggestions are welcome

非英语专业,请讨论
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-26 15:55:59 | 显示全部楼层
The rules mentioned above are not of the final version. Your suggestions are welcomed.

不妨改为:
The rules mentioned above are not finalized. Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-26 16:33:32 | 显示全部楼层
The rules mentioned above are not of the final version.

对了,这个mentioned above用法除非在正式合同等法律文件中,否则一般都认为是可以删掉的,呵呵
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-27 20:20:36 | 显示全部楼层

The 29th. Olympic Games opened on Aug. 8, 2008 in Beijing and it closed on the night of Aug. 24. After 17 days' events, most athletes returned to their own countries, but the grand and splendid scenes on the open ceremony and the close ceremony will remain in their head. The two ceremonies and the Olympic spirit of Chinese astonished and impressed the whole world. The Beijing 2008 Olympic Games got a great success.

What impressed me most these days is that the security environment in the whole country became extremely good during the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Serious criminal cases such as thefts, robberies and murders decreased greatly. It is worth pointing out especially that even the divorce proceedings decreased noticeably during the seventeen days because most of the couples were watching games together on TV and communications between them increased.

As everybody can see, before and during the Games, some secessionists and anti-China foreigners appeared. The police took decisive measures. History tells us that we must use strong weapons against the secessionists. In fact, in addion to the existing laws, the Anti-Secession Law has already gone into effect.

From the end of July on, patriotism has kept running high everywhere throughout the country. People waves national flags everywhere. Even on many buildings and cars, the five-star red flags are fluttering in the wind. During the Games, When Chinese players won medals, the Chinese audience cheered in chorus, hailed the victory and waved the national flags.

After the successful holding of the Olympic Games, China and Chinese people are known by the whole world deeply. Some misunderstanding and prejudice in foreigners' head against China and Chinese people will disappeared. Although some areas had met with deadly blows such as the snow storms and earthquakes from last winter, our country will become richer and stronger than ever.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-10 09:51:32 | 显示全部楼层
Hi, Glede,

I think we own you a great many thanks for starting up such a forum as readfree.net.
I really think this is a good place of communication. Here we have more chance perceiving knowledge cheaply and in the modern way-as you see, striking keyboard has long became a way of our life and a new method of learning. What else will fill us with more passion nowadays as writing in computer? At least that is what I am doing. And your forum is just a support for our liking.

But, here is the problem: many tend to download more and read less. I think this has long been a problem since downloading became popular through the Internet. Many guys, they really wish to learn more, that is why they came to gather under the flag of your honored Glede and became a member of our forum. They are so glad to find so many resources available by working in this place. Almost any book we can perceive if we want to, we can either use the tools we get from forum or ask help from the other warm-hearted members. But what they do everyday is downloading, many had specially bought big portable hard disks for the materials they downloaded, they may filled one after another pieces of disks, but they read really few, some even none at all.

So, to further our original intention in bringing up knowlege popularzing, I advise to establish some prize for what is downloaded.

We may encourage downloaders to return back a response of what they downloaded, which may be marked according to what is responded.

This may be a new way for members earning wealth and encouraging them to read more and more attentively.

Wish the forum to be more popular and wish more gathered under the flag of Glede!

Long life knowledge and friendship!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-10 11:54:19 | 显示全部楼层

On My Mind

This is a critical transitional period for a humble young Malaysian.

Everything seem uncertain, right from the personal development project of writing a master degree thesis, the apparent closing down of the production plant he is working in, the 2-week-old 25 weeks getation pre-term daughter lying in hospital, political turmoil of changing the nation's fate all around. There are more to the list.

Meanwhile, the Paralympic is carrying on somewhere on the globe that propably would not get as much attention as the just concluded Olympic game, I staring into the computer screen with the book written by an American on the Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness entitled "Sweet Dreams" lying at the side, what am I doing, really?

I surfed the net for informations on premies, the antibody in mother's breast milk, etc. I searched for books on the Neonatology. I visit the 640 gramme baby daily. I keep my thesis writing project going as planned. But will these activities be fruitful?

I like to cast doubts on various issues, and the matter of continuing the struggle is not a trivial subject. And here I participate to write my consciousness translation into a Glede's Mailbox, suddenly it takes away the other problems for a while.

Whoever read my short notes, I thank you for the patience you pay. Anyhow, a short note of gratitude won't hurt, thank you.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-11 14:15:45 | 显示全部楼层
Advice on Forum Construction

Hi, Glede,
  It is supposed that there may be many people who need help from the others to translate some words, pharases or documents. Why not establish a special block for such things as translation businesses: the one who need help may propose a reward for some documents; while the intended translators may provide service and earn wealth and prestige through their work.
If there is any dispute aroused concerning the quality of translation, the moderator may be authorized to judge.
Any further improvement done by the others will also be awarded with bit of wealth if necessary.

Of course, this is still a preliminary idea, further details need the talents of the other friends.
Thank you for your attention!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-11 20:29:06 | 显示全部楼层

Re:On My Mind

引用第28楼liumx2000于2008-09-10 11:54发表的 On My Mind :
This is a critical transitional period for a humble young Malaysian.

Everything seem uncertain, right from the personal development project of writing a master degree thesis, the apparent closing down of the production plant he is working in, the 2-week-old 25 weeks getation pre-term daughter lying in hospital, political turmoil of changing the nation's fate all around. There are more to the list.

Meanwhile, the Paralympic is carrying on somewhere on the globe that propably would not get as much attention as the just concluded Olympic game, I staring into the computer screen with the book written by an American on the Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness entitled "Sweet Dreams" lying at the side, what am I doing, really?

I do not know how to say thanks to you; and I do not know how to console you. I know it's far from useful or consoling to say something as "C'est la vie"... I see that you hold a rigorous standard as a scholar from your posts in this forum, and now I see that your attitude toward life is serious and respectable.

What I can do is to pray for you. Wish you good luck!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-12 10:19:25 | 显示全部楼层

Re:C'est la vie

[quote]引用第30楼白马西北驰于2008-09-11 20:29发表的 Re:On My Mind :

I do not know how to say thanks to you; and I do not know how to console you. I know it's far from useful or consoling to say something as "C'est la vie"...
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-13 08:39:29 | 显示全部楼层
Wish Glede and His Men Merry Mid-Autumn Day

Hi, Glede,
Thank you for establishing such a magnificent forum. And thanks all the deligent moderators work under Glede, thanks for their contribution to this forum.

In such a family-gather-together time, I hope to wish you all Merry Mid-Autumn Day in represent all the staff in our this forum.

It is you guys who had made such an brilliant idea to creat such a place and make it big. This place is really helpful in not only study but also relaxation. I made many friends in this forum, some even became my dear friends in life. Many said that network is something fictitious, but friendship between man and man is true (of course I do not mean to offend female friends. You see, we just usually use such masculine expressions in our life. If you feel any offend, blame the language, not blame me, I am always ready to be friend). In the long history of our lingering around the forum, we communicate with each other, we felt that we are a family. Some time, we may also misunderstand each other, but the unhappyness will soon be dispeled under the mediation of the friendly moderators. In fact, we are a family, don't you think so. Only we are a family never meet each other, and without a "Whole Family Members' Picture" . Shoud I suggest to take such a photo in the Mid-Autumn Eve or some other time you may think appropriate.

I still remembered the first period of time when I just registered in. I was such a new-hand that I always made some mistakes. I was careless enough to unnotice some of the rules. So I was fined a bit sum of wealth for my disobeying. I was ill-affected that I wrote a message to one of our moderator to give out my anguish. You see, that at the beginning, even one wealth means a lot to me because I still have find no way to earn them. The moderator patiently explained to me and gave me some advice in acquiring wealth and prestigue by serving in the forum. He even encouraged me to run for the competition as a moderator. Although I failed for my freshness, but I still want to show my thanks to him. Here I give my special mid-autumn wish to him, and wish him happy and wealth in this special period of time. I think I will be back for another competition one day. I think that I deserve an opportunity to serve the forum better.

Forum is a big family. In this place, you should never expect to act at will. It is just like a real family, a real country. There should be descipline, punishment or ecouragement. Only in this way, we will be given a better environment for our society. Only in this way, can we build a win-win academic surrounding for our members.

Wish all friends happy and thanks Glede and his staff again. Wish them a specially happy happy mid-autumn day!

If you don't believe what I said above, just see the following picture:
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-14 10:15:51 | 显示全部楼层
Hi, Glede,
I am writing so many recently. I really hope that you are not bothered.

Actually, the reason for I to write again today is that I think I should at least formally offer you a festival wish on the very day of Mid-Autumn besides the previous one, the other reason is that I need to talk to you.

I can never brag that I am very good at English, but I really do like to writing and speaking in English. Just like the drinkers and smokers depend on alcohol and cigarette for their living, I live on English. I always want to offer my service to the forum, but I find no way in. For being a fresh man, I bear not qualification of either wealth or topics amounts. But I have a passion of service and a wish to serve the public. You see that I really mean it.

Maybe I had be absent from the forum for quite a while, that is because I had a work change during that period of time. You know that is a big deed for everyone. I had worked as a translator for more than ten years, first in a joint-venture company, then in a professional translation company. After ten years of work, I dedicated myself again to a national entrance examination of graduated students and succeeded. The first half of this year is just when I graduated as a master of arts in translation. I think in anyway I may be qualified to serve the forum. You may say that I can find a post in some other forums, but I don't, because Readfree.net is my home. I am a person with homesickness. Such a guy, how can he be comfortable when being away from home.

If there is no vacancy, I wish I should at least be given the priority to write here freely. Because I really do like it.

Wish you merry Mid-Autumn day and happy for ever!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-15 23:17:42 | 显示全部楼层
引用第32楼glen1111于2008-09-13 08:39发表的 :
Wish Glede and His Men Merry Mid-Autumn Day

Hi, Glede,
Thank you for establishing such a magnificent forum. And thanks all the deligent moderators work under Glede, thanks for their contribution to this forum.

You write so many and so quickly. It's admirable. I, however, have to point out again that you have neglected the message I sent you several days ago and insist on some inaccurate points. Glede is not founder or manager of this forum. He is a software developer who serves the members of the readfree.net forum. He is respected by many members here because of his contribution and his down-to-earth style.

We can see that you have done a good job. Just keep on!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-16 08:30:14 | 显示全部楼层
引用第34楼白马西北驰于2008-09-15 23:17发表的 :

You write so many and so quickly. It's admirable. I, however, have to point out again that you have neglected the message I sent you several days ago and insist on some inaccurate points. Glede is not founder or manager of this forum. He is a software developer who serves the members of the readfree.net forum. He is respected by many members here because of his contribution and his down-to-earth style.

We can see that you have done a good job. Just keep on!

Thank you very much for your correction.

Can I understand Glede as a group of people as you moderators? Because you see that the title of this movement is called:

Glede's Mailbox

I think Glede may have been a representative of this forum. So when Glede is mentioned, it may be just like saying "Hello, everyone", or "To anyone it may concern".

I have also thought advising a change of title to this activity, but expression as "English Corner", or "Mail of English Learners" may be so banal, none of which can be compared with your title "Glede's Mail". Because in this title, things of wider scope may be discussed, either English Study or Forum Management. So I really appreciate you "Glede's Mail", but I think that Glede here may indicates everyone of the staff moderators. Am I right?

Thanks for your concern.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-16 15:18:05 | 显示全部楼层

Making Friends in the Forum

To be honest, when I first registered in the forum, I had some conflicts with some of the guys. But through the arbitration of the moderators and the mutual understanding between us, we all got through it. And most of guys began with hostility even became my good friends later.

I remembered what happened in Book Seeking section (专家找书板块). I was so passionate to help at that time that I devoted myself all day long to doing it. Fortunately that I was still back in school at that time, I had rich resources of digital books. Everyday, after day broke, I turned on my computer and began to do my business--seeking books for the others. You know that selling a book does not earn much but need a lot of efforts. What can be earned by downloading and uploading books in a day is even less than writing articles in different sections--each writing will be paid automatically when published. But I was still eager to do it.

Soon there comes the problem. I got appeals from the customers, saying that what I served is false books, and the resolution is not good enough. Though these books seems clear to me, they refused to accept. Some even claimed refunding after payment had been done. I was embarrassed at that time. I sought help in the section about the standard of a book being clear or not, and was told by some warmhearted friends that pixel width of clear pdg files should >=1200, dpi=300.

Later when there is a demand of any book, I would find out the pixel width I can afford with the customer’s demand. If my pdg file does not fit his requirement, and there is no anyone answers to it, I would discuss with the customer and tell him or her what is affordable on my side. If he or she agrees, a deal will be made. Anyway, I find myself can help more people and make them satisfied.

By my honesty, I made some friends little by little. Though I had left school and worked now, our friendship lasts.

I wish we will all be patient and friendly and warm-hearted in the forum. We need a harmonious environment, and it needs the effort of all of us.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-17 10:01:58 | 显示全部楼层
Hi, brainleeeee, 白马西北驰 and the other moderators:

I had been brainstorming about our forum recently. I think that there are so many resources recommendations but few original writings. As we are in the English section of Readfree.net, we should carry on its spirit of development and make it bigger. We should offer the members better chances to do something original and inspiring. We should enough the original writing more forcefully.

Of course that is also what our moderators were always trying to do, especially macauor, brainleeee and 白马西北驰, who kept on awarding originals with more wealth,even prestige. Several recent activities such as Glede's Mailbox and Issue Writing 002:How to write like a native English speaker also proved that.

I am honored to present myself to the help of these moderators in their effort encouraging original writings.

Following is one of the translation I had done to an English Movie Poster, please give your precious advice.
http://www.readfree.net/bbs/read.php?tid=4649361

Hope this may be set up as an activity too in our section.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-17 10:34:05 | 显示全部楼层
引用第22楼钱一文于2008-08-25 00:23发表的 :
a amazing idea~~~
if I have time,i would like to share my feeling with you. bust first of all, i must collect this item.

An amazing idea
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-17 14:37:48 | 显示全部楼层

Interpretation to Harmoniousness

The CPC had called us to co-build a “Harmonious Society”. Of course the spirit of harmoniousness is always there in Chinese history. Long past in the Spring and Autumn Period, Confucius had brought out his views of “和”, which should be the earliest form of harmoniousness.

But in the history, harmoniousness had always been misunderstood and misinterpreted. Even today, there are still many mis-stories of Harmoniousness. A guy in the company did many bad deeds, no one stands out and expose. In case of investigation, the answer will always be “I am good”, “He is perfect”, etc. Students are said to be the purest of mankind, even them are polluted in some degree today. In school where morals are told and hopes are bailed, there are still cheating. Students tell the cheating ones receive intimation. With outstanding family background, student may ever be “Three Good” students (good in study, attitude and health), no one cares.

This is really thrilling.

If the young generation is ruined, how can a nation stand up?

We had long suffered from telling lies and bragging. In the Great Leap Forward, China suffered enough. There are clear mistakes but no one stand up for it. Everything the leader said is true; everything the leader done is good. Where is our own judgment? Where is the characteristic of the nation?

Building a Harmonious Society means to throw away those trivial struggles and arguments and concentrate on our economic construction. But never be mute before evil and bad. We need a harmonious environment to build our economy; we also need to be brave enough to beat those elements keeping us behind.

Be tolerant and tell the truth, you are a harmonious man.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 21:25 , Processed in 0.389157 second(s), 4 queries , Redis On.