may you find some comfort here
You re in the arms of the Angel;
may you find some comfort here
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2004-6-16 13:24:25 | 显示全部楼层

Re:The City of Angels

City of Angels

How do angels spend their limitless days? Their job is to roam the Earth[1], listening to people's thoughts, celebrating their lives and deaths, and comforting those in need-- but they can't interfere in their fates. Angels are not, and never have been, human beings. Though they care deeply for humankind, they perceive the events, sensations and emotions of people's lives with a certain compassionate wonder.

But what happens if an angel yearns for[2] the most everyday mortal[3] experiences: to taste a pear, to cry, to feel the touch of a hand... to fall in love? And what would an angel be willing to give up for those experiences?

Conversely, what would make a rational mortal woman-- a surgeon who firmly relies on her own earthly abilities-- become drawn to[4] a spiritual man whose very existence is almost impossible for her to accept? How would she have to change to understand him?

In City of Angels, a story of romance starring Academy Award-winner Nicolas Cage and two-time Golden Globe-nominee Meg Ryan, two souls, one mortal and one celestial, must struggle with their willingness -- to sacrifice everything familiar for the sake of[5] love.

Nicolas Cage plays Seth, a restless angel on duty in Los Angeles, who encounters Dr. Maggie Rice (played by Meg Ryan), a heart surgeon whose heart is deeply shaken by losing a patient on her table for no apparent reason. Although Seth is there to aid the dying man, he is immediately drawn to Maggie and wants to help her overcome her crisis of confidence.

In the process, he falls in love with her and longs for the sensory world he has observed but cannot experience. Finally, despite its risks, Seth takes the unusual step of becoming visible to Maggie, changing from an imperceptible spirit to a mysterious stranger.

Maggie is intrigued and captivated by Seth, but as their passion for each other deepens, she questions the sanity[6] of loving this perfect man with no past, Maggie becomes confused, frightened, and angry. But beyond all of those emotions, she falls more deeply in love with him than she ever believed possible.

Meanwhile, Seth grows increasingly frustrated by his status as a partial occupant of the human world. He is also deeply in love and wants so fervently to share Maggie's life that he considers a momentous proposition-- giving up his status as an angel to become a human being, trading immortality for the harsh yet beautiful chaos of living.

注释:

1. roam the Earth:
在地球上漫步。Roam做及物动词是“漫步于、在……随便走”的意思,比如roam fields and riverbanks 在田间河畔闲逛;roam the streets 漫步街头。不过能够roam the earth的人可就不多了,恐怕只有天使了。

2. yearn for:
yearn不及物动词,是“渴望、切盼、怀念”的意思,常常跟for、after、towards等介词连用,比如The sailors yearn for home. 水手们非常思念家乡。如果你困得睁不开眼睛了,就可以说My eyes yearn for sleep!

3. mortal:
凡人,人类,尤指有生命的会死亡的事物。与它相对的词immortal不朽的,不死的,神当然一定不是平凡人类了。在希腊和罗马神话中,经常可以读到一些英雄人物做出了伟大的事迹,宙司就把他们变成immortal永远地留在天上。

4. be drawn to:
draw有“拖、拉、拽”的意思,如果你的心灵或头脑被某样事物“拖走、拉动”,那你一定是“被……深深吸引”了。对了,be drawn to就是“被深深吸引”的意思。

5. for the sake of:
为了……的缘故。例如:For the sake of your family don't take so many risks. 为了你的家庭,不要冒太多风险。
6. sanity:
本意是“精神健全的,精神正常的”,可以引申为“清醒、明智、通情达理”的意思。在本文中就是相对于感情来说的“理智”。例如:question the sanity of huge money spent on him 怀疑把大笔钱花在他身上是否明智。

天使之城

天使们是如何打发他们无尽的时间?他们的工作就是漫步地球,倾听人类思想,纪念人类生死。在需要时给人类关怀与抚慰。但他们不能左右人类的命运。尽管他们深切关注着人类,带者某种同情和好奇去体味人类生活的酸甜苦辣,但他们终究不是人类。

但是如果一个天使极其渴望人类生活:想品尝山梨,想哭,想感受手的抚摩……甚至恋爱,那一切将会怎样?为了这一切他将放弃什么?

而一位理性的、绝对相信世俗能力、并认为天使的存在荒谬得简直令人难以接受女医生又怎么会迷上这位天上神灵?她将会怎样去改变自己,去理解他?

《天使之城》这个爱情故事,由学院奖得主尼古拉斯·凯奇和两度获金球奖提名的梅格·瑞恩主演,两个灵魂,一个是世俗凡人,一个是天堂来客,必须和自己抗争,必须因爱而牺牲自己所熟悉的一切。

尼古拉斯凯奇在剧中饰演塞斯,一位在洛山矶忙碌的天使,一次手术中,他遇到了麦琪·莱斯医生(由梅格·瑞恩饰)一位心脏外科大夫。在手术台上她失去了一个病人,但却找不出明显的原因,于是内心深处受到冲击。尽管天使塞斯当时一直在那里照顾那个将死的病人,然而手术过程中他被麦琪深深吸引,并想帮她恢复自信。

这个过程中,他爱上了她,并渴望着进入人类的感官世界,那个他看得到却无法去体验的世界。为了使麦琪看到了他,他冒险采取了不同寻常的办法。最终从一个看不到的神灵变成了一个神秘的陌生人。

塞斯点燃了麦琪爱情的火花,并深深吸引着麦琪,随着两人感情的加深,麦琪常常这样问自己,爱上这个没有过去的完美的男人是否明智。麦琪感到迷惑、害怕、生气。尽管如此,连她自己都难以相信的是,她竟越来越爱塞斯了。

同时,塞斯对自己只能部分地进入人类世界的状况感到愈加绝望。他深爱着麦基,并渴望分享麦基的生活 。这种感觉是如此强烈,以至他考虑做出一个重大决定,放弃自己的天使身份成为人间一凡夫俗子,放弃永生的权利,享受粗糙但却美丽纷扰的人生……

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2004-6-16 14:21:10 | 显示全部楼层
that 's an affected love movie
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2004-6-16 16:08:33 | 显示全部楼层
cheers to Lady Moderator. beautiful song, neat structure, nice job.
Thank you for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2004-6-16 17:35:07 | 显示全部楼层
Hi,bensu.Thank you for your comments and it's my honour to do that since I like this kind of thing
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 13:31 , Processed in 0.393309 second(s), 6 queries , Redis On.